The American Muslim Community Organization (AMCO) is a not for profit Organization aims to enable the religious, educational, social, and cultural aspirations of the Muslims in McHenry County and its surrounding areas with excellence and professionalism. AMCO was born out of a need for a strong Muslim presence and support of Muslims in the area. While efforts were already underway to establish a vibrant Muslim community in the area, AMCO was formed to unify these efforts into one common and more productive effort. The result of working together has been profound.
The community AMCO serves today is upwards of 800 households. Its has been organizing Juma prayers, daily prayers, Sunday School for children, Taraweeh and Eid prayers, Tafseer classes and other community programs.
The vision of the American Muslim Community Organization (AMCO) is to create a vibrant, productive, and prosperous community and to encourage the formation of an American Muslim identity while building bridges to foster interfaith understanding with its neighbors.
The American Muslim Community Organization (AMCO) is an independent organization. Its purpose is to establish and share the values and practices of Islam in the United States of America by providing religious, educational and social facilities for members of the community.
Current Programs / Activities
- Sunday School for children to provide Islamic Education
- Tafseer Program for Adults
- Daily Prayers
- Juma Prayers
- Taraweeh Prayers
- Eid Prayers
- Iftar Prayers
- Eid Dinners
- Community Annual Picnic
- Coalition board member of Faith bridge Interfaith Consortium
Planned New Programs
- Quran Classes for children
- Quran classes for adults
- Adult Education
- Youth &Career counseling
- Library/local resource center on Islam
- Food Pantry
- Volunteer Resources for Social Services
- Outreach Programs
- Open House in Islam
- Presentation to other religious groups
- Presentation to school/local colleges/libraries
- Participation in McHenry County Peace Group programs
- Represent AMCO on Diversity Day in Wodstock